1969 Volkswagen Beetle Tech Specs
How tight am I supposed to tighten the Beetle's rear axle nut? What weight oil should I use? How big is the nut that holds the steering wheel on? Instead of flipping through my small library of Beetle books every time I need one of these pieces of information, I decided to start a little tech sheet of my own. Hopefully it will expand as time goes on and I run across more information for it.
- Oil: 5.3 pints (2.65 quarts, ~2.5 liters)
- Nut size: 27mm
- Nut torque: 36 ft. lbs.
- Clearance from blinker switch: .04 to .08 inch
- Drain plug size: 21mm
- Drain plug torque: 25 ft. lbs.
- Cap nuts size: 10mm
- Cap nut torque: 5 ft. lbs.
- Lug bolt torque: M14: 87-94 ft. lbs., M12: 72 ft. lbs.
- Rear axle nut size: 36mm
- Rear axle nut torque: 217 ft. lbs.
- Front inflation: 16-18 psi
- Rear inflation: 27 psi
- Spare inflation: 43 psi
- Generator/fan nut size: 36mm